Saturday, August 11, 2007

Kingsolver Book Review

Munchkin's still in sick and in slow motion, so I interrupt the "cute Munchkin stories" to bring you the following book review...

This past spring I read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver (http://www.kingsolver.com/). The book is the account of how the author and her family moved from Phoenix to a farm in the Appalachias and decided to live off the the land and eat locally for one year. It's part journal and part informational. I don't know what Kingsolver normally does for a living, but she is a very good writer with an educator's heart. For anyone interested in the issues surrounding our national food supply, or who just enjoys a back-to-the-land story, it is a really good read. I found some parts intriguing, some parts delightful and some parts very funny. I won't spoil it by telling you any of the funny stuff -- if you want to know, you'll have to read it yourself!

This book linked me to two other books. Kingsolver writes about how her experiences in making her own cheese led her to "Cheese Queen" Rikki Carroll. Carroll has a book out called "Home Cheese Making" http://www.cheesemaking.com/ that I had to wait ages for at the library. It seems I'm not the only Kingsolver reader who has followed up by searching out the cheese making book! I have almost completed gathering my supplies and am looking forward to trying the mozzarella recipe. She says it takes only 30 minutes. I'll report soon on the results!

The other book is written by Gary Nabhan, an aquaintance of Kingsolver, who did a similar "eating local" experiment, but remained in Phoenix (quite a feat!). That book deserves its own review -- a blog for another day.

No comments: