Thursday, September 20, 2007

Cheesemaking Attempt #3

The good news...
1. The milk from Noris was delicious. I saved the whole milk to make mozzarella, but the 2% was sweet and creamy. After tasting the Noris milk, our old milk tasted harsh and watery.
2. My blueberry plant should be really healthy since it got another gallon of whey to drink!
3. My family actually likes failed-mozarella lasagna. I also used some of batch #2 on pizza and they gobbled that up as well.
4. I'm getting much quicker at making a bad batch of 30-minute mozarella. The first attempt took 90 minutes, the second 75 minutes, the third, with better milk, failed at 60 minutes.

The bad news...
1. After drinking Noris milk for two days, I don't really want to go back to the old stuff. Naturally, Noris milk is more expensive!
2. I saved out part of the whey from last night's cheese attempt to use in making bread today and then forgot to use it!
3. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. The only thing I have left to try is to order the DVD from the cheesemaking supply place and hope it provides answers. I haven't decided what to do. If you have suffered through my previous attempts and think I should try again, please leave a comment. :)

2 comments:

s.j.simon said...

:) did you know how cheese was invented? It wasnt necessity, it was an accident, read this

Donna said...

Thanks - that's really interesting!