Friday, September 21, 2007

What was I thinking?!!

This morning I took Munchkin to one of those "agritainment" farms. He loves to climb on the tractors, and he thinks the goats are nice, too. When it was time to leave, we walked through the produce section. I bought mushrooms, peaches and pears, but then I saw the tomatoes...

I love tomatoes. I love fresh tomato sandwiches that leave the bread all soggy. I love the coolness of a fresh tomato slice on pizza. I love spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce and marinara sauce. I don't love the pink styrofoam things the grocery store sells. Anyway, I had been wanting to cook up some homemade tomato sauce, but our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture -- you pay at the beginning of the season and get a share in the harvest all summer) hasn't given us many tomatoes recently. This produce stand had lovely looking tomatoes at a nice cheap price if you bought a whole box, so I did.

You know the thing about Christmas trees always looking bigger in your living room than they do on the farm? Well, 26 pounds of tomatoes looks really big on the kitchen counter. I'm on my second batch of tomato puree right now, and I've got a lot of tomatoes left over. I have no idea how I'm going to get my two gallon pot of tomatoes to "reduce by half" and cool before bedtime!

No comments: