Friday, November 9, 2007

Cheesemaking Attempt #4 (Part I)

I don't believe it. I should be a beta-tester for home cheesemaking recipes - I make so many mistakes! Armed with the how-to video, I'm trying to make mozarella again. I don't want to take any chances with the type of pasteurization of the milk, so I decided to go with the dry milk powder/cream method, which is supposed to be fool-proof. Instant milk has never been heated above 170 degrees, which is the temperature at which the proteins are damaged too much to make cheese.

So I bought instant milk and began to mix it up this morning. (You have to mix it 24 hours before you plan to use it.) Right before I added the water, I remembered that chlorinated water kills the rennet, and we have chlorinated water. Instead of running back to the store to buy bottled water, I boiled the water to get rid of the chlorine. Proud of myself for catching the chlorine problem, and delighted that the milk powder would dissolve so well, I poured the still boiling water into the powder. Anyone see a problem?

This evening I went back to the store, again, to buy more powder. I sure hope this works.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the daily entertainment. I like his questions. You must have fun with the answers'