Thursday, November 1, 2007

Local Meal #4 - Plagiarized!

If imitation is truly the sincerest form of flattery, then Kim should be congratulated! The photo of her first local meal looked so good that I decided to duplicate the dinner this week. We had homemade french fries (CSA potatoes), hamburgers (local grass-fed beef & CSA onion), and fresh broccoli (local). To the hamburgers, I added Tillamook cheese, a CSA tomato (my last one, sob!), and pickles that I made last summer when I had too many cucumbers. The one non-local item was the bread for the hamburger buns. I also don’t count Scott’s ketchup since it is one of my exceptions.

The bottom line: I thought it was all very good, but after Munchkin used the french fries only to mop up ketchup and then licked the ketchup off his hamburger, he pronounced himself "full." Oh, well.

What I learned: I made the pickles with one of those cheater spice packets that brag, "Make pickles tonight!" They were OK, but nothing special. I think next summer I need to learn how to make them the right way so they’ll taste better.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Nothing like the classics, Donna! Sounds great!

I'm anxious to open my pickles, too. I have this thing, though that I am trying not to crack open the canned stuff until the snow flies.

I'm not sure I'm going to make it with the tomatoes, considering you never know how long it could be until the snow flies around here, but the jam and pickles, well, I'm holding out as long as I can!

Donna said...

Kim,
Glad you didn't mind the imitation! You're more noble than I am -- we've already used at least half of the freezer jam and about a quarter of the tomato sauce in the freezer! I think next year I need to make a lot more!