Friday, December 7, 2007

Local Meal (week 8): A Little Change of Plans

I made quite a find since my last post where I almost quit for loss of local ingredients – I found a farmers’ market that continues until Christmas! Believe me, I loaded up on all kinds of food I can no longer bear to buy at the grocery store! Good thing, too, since nobody has come up with any meal ideas for me! :)

Last night’s meal was supposed to be an all-local slow cooker beef recipe that we really enjoy. I figured I had just enough time to put it all together before I had to leave for work in the morning. When I heard the blood-curdling scream that woke me out of a sound sleep, I didn’t worry about it since my husband was up early and taking care of Munchkin. A few minutes later, Scott woke me up saying, "I have a problem..."

Turns out what led to the scream was Scott dropping an open jar of mayo on the kitchen floor, splattering everything and landing right on Munchkin's Elmo and Tigger. Scott did a great job of cleaning up, but when I came into the kitchen, the floor was nice and shiny... Scott asked, "Is there oil in mayonnaise?..."

So I spent my extra time mopping the floor, which didn’t really work. Tigger and Elmo both got baths today and Munchkin had such a great time giving them their baths that he's in his crib carrying on right now when he's supposed to be napping! Dinner became (not slow-cooker, but all local) pot roast with carrots, onions, celery and potatoes. Scott probably preferred it that way anyway.

The surprise: The local potatoes looked just like the brown ones in the grocery store, but they must have been some other variety because they were just a little sweet! Or maybe I'm starting to notice the change in the flavor of vegetables depending on the season. Anyway, they were very good. The roast needed something -- probably a nice long nap in the slow cooker.

No comments: