Friday, February 8, 2008

Dark Days: A Local Meal

Laura at Urban Hennery has already started writing the latest recap (which should be up on Sunday) so I hope I’m not too late to get my entry in... After all my attempts at homemade foods in the last month, I actually have a full local meal to report!

This evening we ate London broil (local, grass-fed), local potatoes with local sour cream and butter, and a broccoli/cauliflower blend that I froze last summer from our CSA extras. The only non-local item was the marinade for the meat, which had a bunch of ingredients I wouldn’t want to give up. Grass-fed London broil really has to be marinated. The meat turned out delicious and tender and the potatoes tasted great. One pleasant discovery in this whole "eating local" thing has been the taste of locally grown potatoes. I used to think I didn’t much care for potatoes, but local ones have flavor!

The broccoli and cauliflower would have been fine if only I hadn't been distracted telling Scott about how Munchkin took the case off of the thermostat this afternoon. The veggies turned out mushy, but that wasn’t the fault of the local ingredients -- it was OE (operator error) as they say in the computer business. :)

No comments: