Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Classics: Happy April Fools!

I’ve started a new category on my blog called "Classics." These are stories that happened before I began blogging, but are too good to forget. The following are from the 80's.

When I was a little girl, my grandmother would call on the first of April and tell me that my shoes were untied. I would look down and check. Some years later, when I grew old enough to realize that Grandma could not see me over the phone, I decided to get her back...

My first year away at college, I called my grandmother on April Fool’s Day and told her that I was the Secretary from the Department of the Interior. The shed in their back yard (where Grandpa kept nuts, bolts, and everything but the kitchen sink) was such a mess that it had been declared a "national disaster area." If they didn’t clean it up by the following week, they would have to pay a fine. I don’t know why she bought the story, but when I revealed myself at the end, Grandma laughed so hard she cried. I heard that she then called up all her neighbors and repeated my joke on them.

A year or two later, I called my grandmother on the first of April and told her that I was from the Readers’ Digest and she had won 2nd place in the Animal Sweepstakes. She gasped, and so I quickly added that the prize was a baby koala bear, which would be delivered the following week. Realizing that she was not going to become an instant millionaire, she chewed me out for messing up her subscription. A good laugh followed.

I tried a few more jokes in following years, but Grandma was on to me. I waited a good long time and then tried once more...

After Grandpa passed away, Grandma traveled a lot. One year I heard that she was planning a train trip through the Canadian Rockies. On April Fools, I called and said that I was from the travel agency. Alligators had been found in Lake Louise, and so I needed her shoe size in order to fit her with combat boots for her visit. Grandma was skeptical, but I assured her she was in no danger. After much fast talking, she at last gave me her shoe size - 6 ½ - before I could no longer contain my laughter.

Don’t know if they celebrate April Fools up in heaven, but have a good one, Grandma!

No comments: