Friday, June 20, 2008

OLS #3: Burgerville!

OK, I’m cheating this week, but only sort of. I’d smiled at the billboards ("Last Burgerville for 24,000 miles"), but never thought of actually eating there until I read "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser. This isn’t a review of "Fast Food Nation," but if you haven’t read it, it’s no exaggeration to compare it to Sinclair's "Jungle." It’s somewhat dated, now, but still worth the read. Anyway, after the author’s expose on the American food supply, he praises a few restaurants for serving fresh, local, sustainable food and Burgerville in the pacific northwest is one of them. I’ve been a convert ever since I sampled their fresh Oregon strawberry milkshake. And the Walla Walla onion rings. And the local hamburgers. I’m making myself hungry just thinking about it!

Anyway, Monday night, after a very long and stressful day, we were driving back from Portland and decided to stop at a Burgerville for dinner. I had my usual Tillamook cheesburger made with local-as-possible cheese, beef, lettuce, and California tomato (promised to be safe), real french fries, and of course a fresh strawberry milkshake - Oregon strawberries and local ice cream. Yum!

At the end of the meal, Scott and I waited as Munchkin finished the last of my milkshake. Our food wrappings were on the tray, so when a waitress walked by and asked if she could take it for us, I nodded. All of a sudden, Munchkin let out a blood-curdling scream and yelled at about 110 db for her to bring the tray back. (In Munchkin's defense, he'd had a very stressful day.) The waitress returned and asked apologetically, "Did I do something wrong?" I told her that Munchkin had left half of a french fry on the tray. The waitress left, and a minute later returned with wa fresh basket lined with paper and containing three french fries. She must have been a mom.

7 comments:

Joyce said...

Those must have been some French Fries!!

Donna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Green Bean said...

Yup! Know the scream. My boys do the same thing. Never heard of Burgerville but it sounds great!

kimberly said...

We've been planning a trip to Portland just to eat at Burgerville! I'm only partially kidding; we have other reasons to visit, but Burgerville is on the list. I love the idea of a high-quality fast food place.

Donna said...

GB: Must be universal!

Kimberly: You're going to love it! Make sure to get the in-season milkshake. Yumm!

kale for sale said...

We have relatives in Portland that wanted to take us for milkshakes the last visit and I kindly declined, calories and all, but I think this was the place. I blew it. Next time I'll know. There's a pizza place, Hot Lips, in Portland that does local pizzas by the slice. Suffice it to say I won't go to Portland unless it includes a stop there. Somehow pizza calories are different than ice cream calories? I don't know.

Donna said...

Don't feel bad, Katrina. I probably drove past their sign for 10 years before I tried the milkshakes! Never heard of "Hot Lips," but I'll keep an eye out for that one.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that shakes made with real ice cream, local strawberries and real whipped cream hardly have any calories. ;)