Friday, June 27, 2008

OLS #4: Chili & Cornbread

I had other plans for our local meal this week, but I don’t think it’s going to happen, so I looked at our other menus and realized I could use Thursday’s dinner instead. That’s one thing I love about buying local food – it makes it’s way into all our meals!

So anyway, tonight’s dinner was chili and cornbread. I started by cooking the beans and then I added ground beef, beans, onion, garlic, canned tomatoes, spices and topped it with Parmesan cheese.

For the cornbread, I used a recipe from one of my favorites: More-with-Less Cookbook. I discovered this cookbook back in my college days and it remains one of the most useful books I own. Produced by the Mennonites, a good chunk of the book is about eating better while living lightly. The rest is from-scratch recipes and I haven’t found a bad one, yet. (Well, except for the lentil recipe that came out looking like dog food... but it tasted fine!) I baked from-scratch cornbread and served it with local butter and honey. Munchkin begged for more.

To complete the meal, I tossed a green salad that made use of Farmers’ market veggies , backyard lettuce and 3 sugar snap peas. My garden isn’t doing very well this year. There were five peas, but when I was outside before dinner, I accidentally ate two of them.

Chili:
Local - grass-fed beef, Azure farm beans, onion, garlic
Non-local: Canned tomatoes (we’re still waiting in Oregon!), spices, Parmesan

Cornbread:
Local - eggs, Azure farm whole wheat flour, milk, Tillamook butter, honey
Non-local - organic flour, organic cornmeal, oil, baking powder, salt

Salad:
All local veggies
Non-local: dressing

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Chili and cornbread is one of my favorite meals. YUM!

At least you got peas in! My peas will be a fall crop. I'm pretending I planned it that way! :)

Joyce said...

I've been cooking out of the More With Less cookbook for years. One of the things I loved about it was that it taught me how to cook right out of the garden. I still make that lentil and barley stew recipe all the time, as well as the oatmeal bread.

Donna said...

Stephanie: Thanks for dropping by! I hope you get more peas than I did, whenever they come!

Joyce: It's a great cookbook, isn't it! I'll have to look up that lentil & barley stew.

Green Bean said...

You accidentally ate two of them. That's hilarous! Ours are all done - victim to powdery mildew and heat. But I'm not complaining because I spotted a ripening tomato the other day . . . and promptly ate it.

Donna said...

GB: Ooooo! Your tomatoes are getting ripe! I can hardly wait for Oregon's, but so far all I've seen are greenhouse grown.

Happy to amuse you. :)

kale for sale said...

I never thought of lentils exactly this way but they always look like dog food at our house too. And we eat every last bite they are so good.

Donna said...

kale: I'm afraid they're not quite so popular around here!