Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Daddy Store

This isn’t going to be an amusing "cute Munchkin"post this morning.

When I’m at my part-time job, Munchkin normally spends time with his grandparents. But when they travel, sometimes for months at a time, then he spends time with another family. This family has six children ages 2-15 and Munchkin absolutely adores them, especially the 10-year-old boy. They’re kind of a rent-a-bunch-of-siblings for Munchkin and he’s spent so much time at their house that he now knows the whole family much better than we do, even though I’ve known the parents since college days.

At 2:00 AM Monday morning the dad, who is my age, had a heart attack and died. We can’t even begin to fathom what this family is going through right now, and Munchkin can’t get his little head around it, either. Last night he told us that they could go to the "daddy store" and buy a new daddy. When we tried to explain that that’s not possible, he insisted, "There’s daddy stores all over."

Please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers.

9 comments:

Joyce said...

How awful. I'll pray for them.

Green Bean said...

Oh, I'm so sorry!! How awful. I'll be thinking of them.

Donna said...

Thanks, guys. There's nothing new to report. We're going to the service on Saturday.

Bugs and Brooms said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Donna said...

Thanks, bugs & brooms.

CindyW said...

Urgh!!! Everytime I hear awful news like this, I think that we owe them to live our best.

Going Crunchy said...

Good thoughts. Argh. So awful.

This week a client of my husand's had a heart attack, only 44! He has been in a really bad place all week thinking about it.

Thoughts on all these Daddies.....

Donna said...

cindyw: Thanks & I agree.

going crunchy: I'm so sorry. That's the same age as our friend. When they did the autopsy, they said that he had the heart disease of a 60-year-old.

Thanks to everyone. We went to the service this morning. The family is surrounded with really good friends and is holding up well under the circumstances. It's been good for me to have a place to share. I'm glad they've got so many friends -- I can't imagine what kind of emotional support they need and will continue to need, but they know the Lord.

kale for sale said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.