Thursday, July 10, 2008

OLS #6 Two local meals

We had two local meals this week. The first was my favorite. After blueberry picking, I decided to make blueberry pancakes for dinner. I use a recipe from a darling little book of Andrew’s called, "Pancakes for Breakfast," by Tomie DePaola. It’s a wordless book except for the recipe, but it tells the story of a farmer lady who decides, well, to make pancakes for breakfast. It’s a great book for talking to kids about where food really comes from, but this is supposed to be a cooking post, not a book review. Back from my bunny trail...

The pancakes were made from a mix of local whole wheat pastry flour and non-local organic flour, local eggs, local milk, local butter, hours-old blueberries and topped with local butter and maple syrup. They were accompanied by fried bacon from our pig (that pig gets into a lot of meals, doesn’t it!). The maple syrup was a gift from one of Scott’s co-workers who took a trip to Canada recently. It was so much better than Trader Joe’s that I now have a problem. We’re hoping to go to Victoria as part of our vacation, though, so maybe I can get some more...

The second dinner was Scott’s favorite. I cooked a grass-fed London broil in a from-scratch marinade. With it, we had mashed potatoes made from Farmers’ market potatoes, local milk, local butter and local cheese, and we also had Farmers’ market zucchini. The only non-local ingredients were in the marinade. It was delicious, and somehow I managed to save some leftover meat for a stir fry and quesadillas this week, which probably also both count as local meals, but who's counting?

9 comments:

kale for sale said...

Pancakes for dinner are my favorite. And with fresh blueberries is decadence. It looks our blueberries are nearly over for the season and I've yet to get any in the freezer. We eat them as fast as I bring them home and they were the first thing to get used up out of the freezer last year.

Donna said...

There's nothing quite like blueberry pancakes! I can go through 10-12 quarts of blueberries a year, and last year I ran out because Andrew discovered he liked eating them right out of the freezer!

eco 'burban mom said...

We had pancakes for dinner last night, and it is always my boys favorite. I never, ever have to bark at anyone to finish their meal. I spend more time dishing out seconds. And thirds. Sigh.

And, isn't it funny how many meals are local, without even trying!

Donna said...

It's one of Andrew's favorites, too. And it seems like every time we have pancakes for dinner, he eats one more than he ate the last time!

eco 'burban mom said...

Oh, watch out for that Donna! You have a boy, they grow an inch at each and every meal! My dad keeps a chart on his garage wall and measures how much they have grown on each holiday and it's SHOCKING to see them grow two inches between Christmas and Easter. Which means of course, every one will need new pants this fall!!!

eco 'burban mom said...

Oh, watch out for that Donna! You have a boy, they grow an inch at each and every meal! My dad keeps a chart on his garage wall and measures how much they have grown on each holiday and it's SHOCKING to see them grow two inches between Christmas and Easter. Which means of course, every one will need new pants this fall!!!

Donna said...

Oh, boy!

Green Resolutions said...

Oh, two kids' books about food in two posts! Do you have any others to recommend? My son (22 mos.) has feeding problems and I am wondering if reading about food might help with his therapy...

Donna said...

Green res: Sorry, that's about all I've got, except for the ice cream book I mentioned in today's post (7/17). Andrew used to love looking through that cookbook when he was about your son's age.

Best of luck to you with the therapy. We've had enough challenges to know how they feel when we're right in the middle of them!