Friday, July 25, 2008

OLS #8 Taco Casserole

For our local meal this week, I baked one of Scott's favorites. I don't often post recipes, but this one's really good so I'll include instructions of how I made "Taco Casserole." Adjust the quantities to your needs.

Taco Casserole

1/2 bag of corn chips (non-local, sorry. I've tried to make my own with leftover tortillas, but they just don't taste as good)
1 onion, chopped (farmers' market)
1/3-1/2 pound ground beef ( I used local grass-fed beef, but I've substituted ground pork or turkey and no one's ever noticed.)
1/2 - 1 cup refried beans (I made my own with all local ingredients a while back and then froze it into portions. If you use canned refried beans, they will spread more easily if you freeze them first.)
4 tsp taco seasoning (I mix my own.)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (I use local Tillamook.)
3-4 leaves lettuce, sliced (picked and mangled by the preschooler)
1 tomato, chopped (farmers' market)

Cook onion and ground beef until meat is no longer pink. Add taco seasoning and 1/3 cup water and simmer until you need it. In an 8x8 baking dish, crush tortilla chips into bite-size pieces. Spread refried beans over chips. Spread ground beef mixture over refried beans and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Top with sliced lettuce and tomato just before serving. Serves 3 with leftovers if the littlest one decides he only likes the meat.

6 comments:

Kim said...

Sounds great, Donna! I've had less-than-stellar results when I try to make my own taco seasoning (too hot, not tacoish-enough, etc.).

Do you have a recipe you like?

Thanks! -Kim

Donna said...

Hi Kim, Here's what I use and I've been very happy with it. I even fudge the quantities depending on what I have. But it won't taste right if you leave out the cumin. :)

Taco Seasoning Mix
2 Tbsp chili powder
5 tsp paprika
4-1/2 tsp ground cumin
3 tsp onion powder
3 tsp salt
2-1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (I leave this out since we don't like it so hot)

Add 8 tsp seasoning and 2/3 cup water to 1 lb cooked ground beef and simmer 10 minutes. (I fudge the time, too.)

Green Bean said...

Aren't you handy! Your own taco mix, your own refried beans. What don't you do, woman!

Donna said...

Well, I can't keep a houseplant alive to save my life. :)

I recommend the taco mix -- don't know what I ever did without it -- but frankly, the refried beans were more work than they were worth.

Kim said...

Thanks for the recipe, Donna - I'll let you know how it all goes on this end. :-)

Donna said...

Kim: You're welcome -- hope you like it!