Monday, July 28, 2008

Say, "Cheese!"

On a recent visit to the library, I picked up "How are You Peeling?" by Saxton Freymann and Joost Elffers. It is a collection of pictures of fruits and veggies as I'd never seen them before! My intent was to use the book as a launching point for discussions about feelings in the wake of our recent tragedy, but that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. Instead, it led to our own experimentation in the kitchen.

Mass-produced grocery store produce works fine, but for best results you really need to start with the more interesting shapes that can be found at farmers' markets. Rating: 5 out of 5 for creativity. Recommended as a fun activity to do with your kids!

5 comments:

Joyce said...

These are so cute Donna! Andrew will surely remember this little project.

eco 'burban mom said...

Very creative! I am sure my littlest would enjoy something like that. Not that it would get him to eat his veggies or anything though. Sigh. Picky eaters stress me out! ;o)

Donna said...

Joyce: Thanks. I think what Andrew will remember the most is the fun he had with the extra black-eyed peas (that we used for eyes) and spilling them all over the living room!

ebm: I wouldn't count on it helping with the veggies. We practically had tears when Andrew found out he had to take the eyes off before he could eat his strawberry. Sounds like you and I are both members of the "Moms of Picky Eaters" club!

CindyW said...

These are priceless!

I should totally loosen up and let my kids play with food!

The only problem I can foresee is that my girls won't let me cook their eggplant heads or eat their strawberry bunnies.

Donna said...

Cindyw: Yeah, that might be a problem. :)