Friday, August 8, 2008

Fire station tour

Today, I took Munchkin to a tour at a local fire station. He dressed up in his full uniform, of course -- fire jacket with gloves in the pocket and fire hat. We got there before the rest of the children that were scheduled for the tour so we had time to visit with the firemen. Munchkin was as shy and speechless as I've ever seen him! Mr. Chatterbox gets totally tongue-tied in the presence of his heroes! When the firemen stepped out of the room, I asked Munchkin how he was doing. He said, with a big grin, "I'm starting to get happy!"

Munchkin was puzzled by the few cars in the parking lot, since there were no other kids there when we arrived. I told him that the cars most likely belonged to the firemen, who had driven to the station from their homes. Munchkin thought about that until he announced, "Some of the cars belong to their mommies who drove them here!"

The tour was of not only the fire trucks but also of the living quarters. When Munchkin got home, he proceeded to pack his fire truck (his bed) with all the new tools he needed, and he turned a cabinet into the "showers" for the firemen. He wore his boots until bedtime.

5 comments:

Going Crunchy said...

We love doing this in October for the Fire Safety Month. The kids are just rock-star-struck at the firemen that get to drive in the truck! Shan

Donna said...

I think the firemen enjoy it, too. It's got to be fun to be a rock star. :)

Bugs and Brooms said...

Ashlyn loves the Fire Department too! What fun!

Green Bean said...

How cute! I always seem to miss our local fire station tours. You inspire me to make a better effort next time.

Donna said...

bugs: It's universal, isn't it! We went on the tour with a school group of kids ages 6-10 and they were all star-struck -- every single one of them (including the teachers).

gb: Want to hear something funny? The very first picture I ever took (with a little camera my grandparents gave me when I was 6 or 7) was of a fire truck from YOUR local fire dept. Call them up and find out when the next tour is scheduled. You can't beat the "wow" factor!