Thursday, August 21, 2008

Mystery plant has baby squash!

Finally, two blossoms opened up yesterday and I was able to hand-pollinate (I'm way too curious to trust the bees on this one!). It's growing already! I know it kind of looks like zucchini, but the color is too light. I suppose it could be a variety I've never grown before, but I still think it's something else. Anyone think it could be delicata? That's what I'm hoping for!

Next mystery plant update will be after I get back from vacation and I think by then we should know for sure!

3 comments:

kale for sale said...

Yeah. It lived and it's producing. Delicatas are one of my favorites and the first variety of winter squash we ran out of last winter. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that is a delicata. But heck, whatever it is will be fabulous because you grew it.

Donna said...

Thanks. And it will be almost the ONLY thing I grew this summer! We ate my 5, count 'em, 5 string beans tonight for dinner.

I think there's a 2nd squash coming, and delicata is the one winter squash my husband actually enjoys, so I'm hoping for the best!

Laura said...

It looks like my delicata - but that's no guarantee...