Thursday, August 7, 2008

OLS #10: Tacos

Creating dinner out of local foods is getting easier and easier as the summer goes on. It's not that I'm getting better at it, it's just that there's so much more variety available in the farmers' market than there was a month ago. Monday night as I was preparing dinner I was thinking about what I should do for a local meal this week. Some things are not too tough. For dinner I was already making tacos with:

grass-fed ground beef (local)
onions (farmer's market)
spices (see OLS #8 post comments for my homemade taco seasoning mix)
cheese (Tillamook)
lettuce (backyard)
tomatoes (farmers' market, finally!)
tortillas (non-local) I've tried to make my own, but my family won't eat them. If you're wondering why, click on the link and see accompanying picture. :)

So there's my local meal. Not fancy, sorry no pictures -- I decided to just make it easy.

4 comments:

kale for sale said...

Isn't the variety terrific. The biggest challenge I have is settling on which variety of food I want to cook. We have a family recipe for flour tortillas. And whenever we have kids around we employ them to help. Flour everywhere but it's fun. Let me know if you want the recipe.

CindyW said...

Tomatoes just now? Wow.

The taco dinner sounds awesome. It's funny that I always wonder about what to feed the kids (or rather to tell my husband what to make for the kids, since he is the chef in our family), Taco of course. Why didn't think about that? Thanks for reminding me.

Going Crunchy said...

Oh, you are so brave! I got inspired by Green Beans purty pics of tortillas and bought the flour. It still sits in my cabinet taunting me. I want a tortilla pressie-thingie to try out, so I keep scoping yard sales.

Donna said...

kale: I'd love your recipe! Probably others would, too, so if you have a link that'd be great or else just email it to me. I made my tortillas with corn flour and maybe that was part of my problem.

cindyw: Hey, happy to help out! We've had some earlier tomatoes but they've either been greenhouse, cherry tomatoes or incredibly pricey. With the funny weather this summer, everything in the pacific NW has been ripening late.

going crunchy: Good luck finding a tortilla pressie thing. :) If you can't find one used, they're not very expensive in latino grocery stores. I should have bought one -- if you click on the link to the picture you'll see my pathetic results trying to make tortillas by hand.