Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ahoy, lubbers!


September 19 is "Talk Like a Pirate Day," as I'm sure you already know...

Avast! You didn't know? Well, obviously you haven't read much of Dave Barry. Here's a quote:

"Every now and then, some visionary individuals come along with a concept that is so original and so revolutionary that your immediate reaction is: 'Those individuals should be on medication.'

Today I want to tell you about two such people, John Baur and Mark Summers, who have come up with a concept that is going to make you kick yourself for not thinking of it first: Talk Like a Pirate Day. As the name suggests, this is a day on which everybody would talk like a pirate. Is that a great idea, or what? There are so many practical benefits that I can't even begin to list them all." -- Dave Barry, Miami Herald, Sept. 8, 2002.

So brush up on your pirate talk smartly!

For your enjoyment, I'll conclude with a little pirate song by the founders of the holiday. Arrr!

A Children's Pirate Shanty
by Mark "Cap'n Slappy" Summers
(can be sung to the tune of Monty Python's "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK" - or make up your own!)

Chorus
I'm a pirate! That I be!
I sail me ship upon the sea!I stay up late - till half past three!
And that's a peg below me knee!

Yo Ho, my friends I have a tale
of treasure, plunder, sea and sailmy story's bigger than a whale
it gets so deep, ye'll have to bail.

I like to fish, I like to fight
I like to stay up half the night
When I say "starboard" ye go right!
Me ma, she says, "Ye look a fright!"

I've got no hand but that's me hook!
I pillage stuff but I'm no crook.
Me booty's in this chest I took.
They'll write about me in a book!

And that's all there is to this song.
I hope it hasn't been too long.
A pirate's life might just be wrong
So grow up nice and big and strong!

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Oh my gosh, I thought we were the only crazy people who do this! The eye patch drives me nuts, though, so I've given that up.

kale for sale said...

We've lost all our patches but we've still got the hats. I live with a sailor, what can I say. I mean a pirate. I live with a pirate.

Donna said...

joyce: How funny! No, you're not the only crazy ones who do this. I think Scott might have taken his eye patch to work with him this morning...

kale: Is he a pirate all year, or just today? :) Wish I had one of those hats. I wanted to take Andrew's picture this morning with the eye patch, but he'd have nothing of it!