Monday, September 1, 2008

Mystery plant: And the winner is...

Congratulations to Laura at (not so) Urban Hennery for her guess that my mystery plant looked just like her delicata! And we're going to have a lot of it! I have one question, though, since I've never grown winter squash before. How do I know when it's ripe? Will the color change?

In other business, I'm afraid I've almost totally fallen off the local-food wagon these past two weeks. I wish I could blame it on the unexpected visitor to our campground (more on that in a later post!), but that's not really the whole story. We did, however, eat one meal while camping that almost qualifies. Scott invented the recipe after eating something similar at one of our favorite restaurants. I was skeptical at first, but there's so much good stuff in this meal that I hardly noticed the scrambled eggs.

Here's Scott's recipe:
Dice two (local) potatoes and saute in olive oil in a fry pan over a Coleman stove. When potatoes start to get soft, add one diced (local) onion and one diced (local) bell pepper. When they soften, add chopped mushrooms, diced pre-cooked bacon and five (local) eggs. Continue frying until eggs are done. Season with salt and pepper. Forget to add shredded cheese, and serve. Eat in the rain, under a tarp, in the great outdoors.

It was really very good, but it would have been better with the cheese. :)

3 comments:

Joyce said...

You'll probably always associate it witht he pitter-patter of rain on the tarp! And it wouldn't have been camping food if you had remembered all the ingredients.

kale for sale said...

Food always seems to taste better when camping. But this sounds good anytime.

Welcome back.

Donna said...

Joyce: Good point! Anyway, we wouldn't have forgotten to put in the cheese if Bigfoot hadn't eaten the grated cheese we brought from home...

kale: You're right! Under a tarp in the rain, I'll eat just about anything! But it's nice to be home.