Friday, October 10, 2008

Bruschetta, the sequel

At the end of the summer, I enjoyed my first taste of bruschetta for lunch one day and I was hooked! This week, for the Eat Local Challenge, I decided to make it myself. The inspiration came from our visit to the goat farm during which I bought some garlic & herb goat cheese. Armed with the most important ingredient, I prepared a "trial version" for my lunch. The real meal was going to be dinner, but I was just nervous enough about it to want to try it first on myself before subjecting my husband to my newest experiment. :)

I began with toasted sourdough rustic bread. For dinner, I brushed it with olive oil and grilled it, but simply toasting the bread in the toaster worked really well for a quick lunch! Onto the toasted/grilled bread I spread a thin layer of goat cheese. Then, I topped it with slices of tomato, chopped fresh basil, and a few shakes of balsamic vinegar. I was thrilled with the results as the taste was as close as I could have hoped for to the bruschetta I ate at the farmers’ market. I wonder if I bought the goat cheese from the same lady...

The photo is of my lunch, which was my bruschetta accompanied by an apple so local it had a worm in it. Yuck! Dinner’s bruschetta looked even better since I grilled the bread. I served it with fresh picked corn-on-the-cob, string beans and butter. Scott sat down at the table, looked at dinner skeptically and asked, "Is this the thing you had at the market?" Sometime during dinner I got a quiet, "This is good," and he ate every bite.

Ingredients:
Rustic bread - baked at a local grocery store
Herb & garlic goat cheese - fresh from the farm
Tomatoes, basil, green beans and wormy apple - farmers’ market
Corn - picked that day and sold at a farm stand
Butter - Tillamook
Oil, vinegar, salt & pepper - grocery store

No comments: