Friday, October 3, 2008

Mystery plant: It's what's for dinner

Munchkin felt lousy with a bad virus Wednesday. He spent most of the day curled up on the floor with a pillow and blanket in whichever room I was in. I felt really sorry for the poor kid, but boy did I get a lot of stuff done! :) Besides loads of laundry, I had plenty of time to prepare our first Eat Local Challenge dinner for October.

I started by cutting open the first of the squash that I harvested from the mystery plant that grew all summer. Munchkin might have been laying on the floor, but he had enough energy to ask to see it! I scooped out all the seeds, let Munchkin giggle at the "squash boat" and then filled the cavity with butter, honey, salt and pepper. It went into the oven to bake while I decided what to do with the pork chops.

Not yet deciding what to do, I boned the pork chops. Munchkin asked me to bring them down to the floor so he could see them, of course. Then, I decided to stuff them, which is much easier if the pork chops are still on the bone! I was limited to local ingredients, so I sauteed garlic and a red & green bell pepper. I mixed the filling with a little homemade applesauce and filled the pork chops.

When the squash and the pork chops were done, I arranged them on a plate and realized that dinner looked bland, so I added slices of tomato on lettuce. I served the applesauce as a side. It was all delicious, but the real star of the show was the squash. I probably used way too much butter and honey, but that’s the way my husband likes it. I think even Munchkin would have eaten it had he felt better.

Ingredients:
Mystery squash: Squash (backyard), honey (local), butter (Tillamook), salt & pepper
Pork chops: Pork (our pig), garlic (local), bell pepper (local), applesauce (local), salt & pepper
Salad: Tomato (local), lettuce (local)
Homemade applesauce: Apples (local from a friend and so sweet I didn’t even add sugar)

1 comment:

Bugs and Brooms said...

This looks and sounds delicious! Way to use the mystery food!