Friday, December 5, 2008

Everything he tried, he learned from his 3-year-old

I don't know if I can do this one justice, but I'll try...

This evening I made my family's favorite "Bacon Cheeseburger Pasta" (recipe to follow). Scott normally claims the leftovers for his lunch the next day. This evening, I planned to save the extras for my sister, who will be babysitting Munchkin tomorrow night and might want something for dinner. Even with that, there would have been plenty except for the fact that our growing boy really likes this meal.

At the end of dinner when Scott eyed the remaining pasta, I told him of my plans. He tried begging with his most pathetic face, but it didn't work, so he asked Munchkin what was the best way to get someone to do something. Munchkin put on his cutest expression and sweetly said, "Please?" Scott tried it, but couldn't get the cute little expression quite right.

Then Munchkin suggested Daddy try crying. Scott asked how, so Munchkin gave a perfect one-second demonstration before he broke into a big grin. We all laughed so hard that Munchkin almost choked.

Scott tried the "cry," but he's not nearly as good as Munchkin, who suggested, "Keep crying!" Poor Daddy just didn't quite have the technique. At the end, Munchkin took my side and insisted that Daddy couldn't have the pasta because it belonged to his aunt (who didn't call back to confirm tomorrow night, so the fate of the pasta is still undecided...).

Bacon Cheeseburger Pasta
(I'm sure the original recipe had quantities, but I lost them long ago. Put in amounts of ingredients to suit your own needs & taste.)

Pasta (I use tube pasta but macaroni or rotini is fine)
Ground beef or pork
Bacon, diced
1 can tomato soup (sorry, locavore friends, I've tried substitutions and nothing tastes as good!)
Cheddar cheese, grated

Cook pasta in boiling water about 10 minutes. While pasta is cooking, fry ground meat in a frying pan until brown. Remove to another bowl. In same pan, fry bacon until done. Drain on paper towels. Drain pasta. In same frying pan, combine tomato soup, pasta, ground meat and bacon and heat through. Sprinkle with grated cheese and cover until cheese is melted.

7 comments:

Electronic Goose said...

LOL.

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joyce said...

The perfectly simulated crying really gets you wondering, doesn't it? How often do they do that to us? I once overheard my daughter and her friend, when they were about nine, trying to find a way to get around my "no" to one of their requests. The friend said, "You could try crying; that always makes my parents give in." To which my daughter said, "Ha! You don't know my mom. Once she says no, she never changes her mind!"

Donna said...

Electronic goose and Amy: Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad I could give you a smile. :)

Joyce: The crying was perfect -- you're right, it does make me wonder. That's hilarious about your daughter!

kale for sale said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Donna. Oh, the pasta was really yummy! Thanks for not giving into the guys :)! --Janet

Donna said...

kale: Thanks so much, and yes, I am saving them for him. It's been a while since I printed them out, though, so thanks for the reminder!

Janet: Glad you liked it since I had to work so hard to save it for you!