Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ack! What's wrong with my omlette?

Sunday evening I cooked a simple dinner of cheese omlette and homemade blueberry muffins. I used up almost the last of my frozen blueberries (sob!), leaving only enough for one last batch of pancakes. As I was cooking the omlette, I noticed it was a strange color. I mentally reviewed my ingredients -- no, same as usual -- but the thing looked anemic. It looked practically white.

Then, it dawned on me that I've been using "real" eggs for a long time, now. In fact, I've recently been cooking with duck eggs, which are even better. I can get farm-fresh duck eggs about 25% cheaper than I can get chicken eggs right now, and they are lovely with huge orange yolks. But last week I ran out of eggs and so I purchased "cage-free, vegetarian-fed, yadda, yadda, yadda" eggs from the grocery store. Hence, the white omlette. Boy, am I spoiled.

4 comments:

Pamela said...

Oh, this is interesting! We buy the cage-free organic eggs from the grocery store, and they're always a lot richer-looking than the regular eggs. But we're about to move out to farm country, where we'll be able to get fresh, local, TRULY free-range eggs at about half the price we're currently paying. Sounds like our eggs will be so much better for it. Curious: one of the people we're considering buying eggs from has duck eggs as well as chicken eggs. Do duck eggs taste the same? What are the differences, cookingwise and tastewise, between duck and chicken eggs? Did it take you a while to get used to eating duck eggs? (For some dumb reason, the thought of eating duck eggs doesn't go down as well with me as eating chicken eggs. Probably habit. I'll get over it if it's worth the switch.)

Donna said...

Pamela: Thanks for dropping by! My husband had the same initial reaction to the concept of duck eggs as you do, but as for myself, I can't taste much difference. They are slightly larger with bigger yolks. They're supposed to be great for baking, and they seem to be although, again, I can't tell the difference. I sometimes use one large duck egg in the place of two chicken eggs, which is a savings. Also, they make incredible pasta. Hope that helps.

Pamela said...

Thanks, Donna! Did your husband get over the initial reaction? Isn't it a weird thing? Heh. Anyway, thank you! I think I'll probably try the duck eggs.

Donna said...

Pamela: Ummm... I quit telling him what kind of eggs they were. But best of luck to you -- you'll probably love them!