Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Little Fish that Got Away

The other night we went to Munchkin's first-ever school music/drama program. The preschool class were the fish and they looked darling in their little costumes as they "swam" all over the stage and made "fish faces." One little fish swam quite a bit faster than the rest... but he at least stood still when the fish lined up and sang their song.

Then it was time to leave the stage and he decided not to leave with the others but instead come down the front steps to sit with us. We encouraged him to go back up with his classmates, so he climbed back up the steps and stood, by this time all alone on stage, trying to decide whether to stay or to go. Once decided, he announced in a loud and clear voice that he didn't want to do this anymore, and he walked back down the front steps. Scott was taping with our camcorder, but sadly, didn't get the whole thing so America's Funniest will just have to do without.

7 comments:

dogear6 said...

What a great story! It is a hard balance between following instructions and being independent.

It will be a sad day when he realizes that being honest can get you in trouble. On the other hand, if he can keep his "doing it my way" attitude, it will help a lot when the peer pressure becomes a problem. My daughter (yes, she's your age) went through this and it did help her stand up to others when she got older.

My moral here is to be careful not to squelch him too much. There will be times (obviously not here) that you will want him to do what is right for him and not what others tells him to do.

debra said...

Cute story!

Donna said...

dogear6: It occurred to me also that his independence might be an asset when he's a little older and his friends want to do stupid stuff. I hope.

BTW, I'd be curious to know what you think "my age" is. :)

debra: Thanks for stopping by!

dogear6 said...

LOL!! My daughter is in her late 20's. My guess is that you are just a few years older.

Donna said...

LOL. I'm older than your daughter by just a couple... decades. :) Thanks!

dogear6 said...

Sorry about that. Bad assumption based on your picture and the age of Munchkin. I was in my mid-20's when I had her. . .

Donna said...

dogear: No worries -- I'll take it as a compliment!