Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Universal language

We went blueberry picking last week. Munchkin wasn't really interested in picking berries, only popping them into his mouth (from my bucket). He had hoped there would be kids to play with, but when we got to the farm there was no one but grown-ups.

Finally, a family arrived, but I overheard them talking in a language I didn't recognize. I told Munchkin that the kids might not speak English -- a hard concept for him to grasp. He puzzled over that one and then he crawled beneath a blueberry bush. When the kids approached, he let out a "RRRROOOOAAAARRRR!"

There was a moment of stunned silence, and then the little boy responded, "RRRROOOOAAAARRR!

3 comments:

Green Bean said...

Too funny!! I love how kids can always find a way to communicate.

Joyce said...

donna, I hope you've read him "Blueberries for Sal". Such a great children's book!

Donna said...

GB: They do, don't they. :) It's very cute.

Joyce: Yes, we've read it. We were even joking about it when we were picking and Munchkin was swiping berries out of my bucket.