Thursday, September 17, 2009

My new favorite dinner

It seems like everyone looking for a house decides to come right around dinner time. Either exactly when we would normally eat or, even more likely, during the time I would normally prepare the meal. Our real estate agent said it's OK for us to be around when people come, especially if they come during dinner, but I have a 4-year-old who doesn't want to move, so he says he'll tell people not to buy our house because it's on a busy street. Unfortunately, he's right, and given the chance he probably would tell them. So when people come, we need to get out of here before they arrive.

In the midst of all this, I stumbled on a perfectly easy menu that has an added bonus in that it makes our house smell heavenly. The recipe goes something like this:

About 2-4 hours before dinner time, dice fresh tomatoes into a bowl. Stir in chopped fresh basil, minced fresh garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, and let sit covered at room temperature until dinner. I've left out the quantities because it depends on the size of your family. I'd just add that you should go easy on the garlic the first time you try it. :)

When you finally get to eat dinner, boil some fresh pasta (I'm currently buying mine, but if your house is not for sale you could try making it yourself for even better results.) On each plate put a generous serving of pasta topped with the tomato mixture and grated Parmesan cheese. If you want, add to the meal a salad and a loaf of good bread. Sorry there's no picture -- my husband devoured every last bite and I didn't think to take a picture until afterwards.

No comments: