Monday, October 12, 2009

Scrap Soup

As we prepare to move, I am trying to use up stored food from the pantry, fridge and freezer. I think it's a little like trying to use up fabric scraps in a quilt. No matter how hard I try, I can never reduce the size of my scrap pile -- I always have to buy some new fabric to complete even a scrap quilt, and the new fabric generates new scraps. And the old scraps get smaller, but never really go away...

I recently dug out a soup recipe that I'd forgotten about. I have no idea where the recipe came from since my copy is hand-written on a scrap of paper. It included only ingredients that were already in my kitchen, so it was perfect for my purposes. But besides that, the soup turned out to be about the most tasty soup I've ever made! Here it is:

Chicken & Rice Soup
1-2 quarts homemade chicken broth
1-2 cups diced, cooked chicken
1 small onion, diced
1 large leek, diced (use both white and green parts)
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tsp each of dried basil, onion powder, marjoram & thyme (substitute fresh herbs if you have them)
2-4 tsp salt (to taste)
dash of pepper
1/4 cup rice
generous splash of lime juice

Saute onions, leeks & garlic in olive oil. Add broth, chicken & spices and simmer for 1 hour. Add rice, simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add splash of lime juice and salt & pepper to taste.

5 comments:

kale for sale said...

With the addition of some cabbage and a leek the recipe lists everything I currently have in the kitchen as I missed the Sunday farmers' market. I may just try this. The lime juice is the twister. I like it. Thank you.

Donna said...

kale: The lime juice is the best part. :) It does something wonderful to the flavor. Please report back if you try it!

kale for sale said...

I made my version with chicken broth, onion, leeks, garlic, peppers, potatoes, ginger and then lime. The lime made it and I'd never have thought of it. Thank you!

Donna said...

I'm glad it worked out for you!

Going Crunchy said...

This looks good!