Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Dark Days week 2: Concoction

Really, I should call this meal, "Clean out the fridge before you move and cook it all in one frypan." The cookbook where I saw the original recipe named it "Sludge," but I didn't think that sounded too appetizing so I've renamed it, "Concoction." Just like last week's one-pot meal, this one can make use of almost anything you happen to have on hand. I forgot to take a picture, which is just as well since it tastes much better than it photographs.

So here was this week's local dinner. All ingredients came from the Farmers' market except where noted.

Cleaning out the Fridge Concoction
(Serves two adults and one preschooler who didn't like it, but that's his problem)

1/3 lb ground beef (from our share of a local cow)
1 large onion, diced
2 large carrots, peeled & diced
2 cloves garlic, minced (Note: I've been putting garlic in almost everything ever since I heard the Croatians think it wards off the little piggy flu. Hey, it can't hurt!)
1 tomato, diced and bad part cut off
1 cup dried pasta (not local -- I already packed my pasta maker)
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I use local Tillamook)
Salt, pepper, basil (not local)

Fry ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink. Add carrots. Wait a little then add garlic. Add tomato. Add two cups water and bring to a boil. When concoction is boiling, add pasta, basil, salt & pepper and cook uncovered for 10 minutes or until pasta is done. Reduce heat, top with cheddar and cover until cheese is melted. Tell your family it's a gourmet meal.

4 comments:

kale for sale said...

I love one pot concoctions. Sounds delicious. I didn't however know it was possible to cook when one is moving. I thought there was a law that said you had! to go out for pizza for as long it took.

Donna said...

Darn! I didn't know about that law! Actually, the take-out came the next couple days. :)

Maureen said...

This one sounds yummy, tho I actually ditto the take-out mandate....and I think it applies to long days in the garden as well :)

Donna said...

Maureen: Thanks for dropping by! I'll remember that rule if we end up in a house like I'm hoping for that actually has a garden. :)