Sunday, February 28, 2010

Oh, no!

Fascinated with the olympics, Munchkin has decided he likes ski jumping, snowboard cross, nordic skiing, hockey and short track speed skating. He has no use for my favorite figure skating.

I decided to take him to an ice rink the other day and let him try out skating for the first time. Munchkin had delusions of grandeur which involved he and his buddies short track speed racing, which naturally Munchkin would win. I tried to prepare him for the fact that it takes a little time to learn how to skate fast.

We spent about half our time off the ice just learning how to walk while wearing ice skates. By the end, he could climb stairs without holding my hand. On the ice, he skated 5-year-old style -- holding the wall with one hand and my hand with the other. He started out slow and tentative, but by the second time around the rink he was running. I could barely keep up. He wants to know when we can go back.

No comments: